The flexible, reliable partner for malic and fumaric acid
Based in North America, Bartek is the world’s largest and vertically-integrated producer of food-grade malic acid and fumaric acid. As a reliable partner to the bakery industry, Bartek continues to explore the full potential of acidulant-based technologies to address the challenges that large and small-scale bakeries have been facing in meeting the modern consumer demand.
Innovative Ingredients: UpholdTM Bread Preservation Technology and UpscaleTM Artisan Bread Technology
Bartek has introduced a portfolio of bakery blends which offer in-application solutions for many of the challenges faced daily in the market. UpholdTM Bread Preservation Technology and UpscaleTM Artisan Bread Technology allow for bakers to meet consumer demand while also preserving the integrity of their recipes and formulations.
UpholdTM Bread Preservation Technology
UpholdTM Bread Preservation Technology offers cost-effective, easy-to-use, and drop-in ingredient systems that can work in conjunction with either natural or synthetic preservatives to maintain and even improve mold-free shelf life and organoleptic properties of wide variety of bread products.
UpholdTM Clean NMI Booster: For Formulators Working with Natural Mold Inhibitors (NMIs)
In recent years there has been explosive growth in consumer demand for clean-label products. Working with NMIs can mean increased costs and higher usage level in comparison to industry-standard preservatives, such as Calcium Propionate.
UpholdTM Clean is the perfect partner for NMIs, boosting their overall performance and reducing the amount of NMIs needed in formulations. This improved use of NMIs allows for:
- Extended mold-free shelf life
- Significant ingredient cost savings
- The mitigation of off flavors and aromas generated by NMIs resulting in enhances sensory attributes in the finished product
- UpholdTM Clean NMI Booster is also available in Gluten-Free form in accordance with BRCGS Gluten-Free Certification Program.
UpholdTM Classic: For Formulators Working with Calcium Propionate
Extending shelf life by using a combination of Calcium Propionate and other acidulants, such as vinegar or citric acid, can mean sacrificing desirable sensory attributes in a finished product. UpholdTM Classic Bread Preservation Technology can help without the added worry of off flavors and aromas.
UpholdTM Classic offers:
- The potential to reduce Calcium Propionate usage by up to 50% while maintaining and improving shelf life
- A cost-effective solution for controlling pH through higher acidification power
- Improved product attributes such as volume and texture
- Production efficiency by reducing mix time and increasing dough absorption
UpscaleTM Artisan Bread Technology
UpscaleTM Artisan Bread Technology is a clean-label, acidulant-based, ingredient system that optimizes scaled-up and consistent artisan bread production, which has proven to be the most challenging to achieve.
UpscaleTM helps you scale up by offering:
- Enhanced consumer appeal with improved product attributes such as elevated flavor profiles and increased porosity and bread volume
- Maintained consistency of finished products for preserved authenticity
- Achieved cost and production efficiencies inclusive of improved overall yield
- Delayed molding and staling for extended shelf life
Innovative Ingredients: Malic & Fumaric Acid
Malic and Fumaric acids can be used as functional ingredients across a wide range of food and beverage applications. A few applications include:
- Bakery and desserts
- Dressings and Sauces
- Jellies and Jams
For the large scale production of trending baked goods such as muffins, doughnuts, and artisan breads, including: ciabatta, rye, baguettes, and sourdough, only the most consistent ingredients will perform. From authentic breads to indulgent fruit-topped tarts, malic and fumaric acids help bakers and pastry chefs deliver the textural experience and flavor profiles that make their products stand out on the shelf.
This organic acid can help with enhancing taste, managing pH, reducing hygroscopicity, improving shelf stability, and more. Available in grades such as powder, regular and technical grade, there is a diverse range of uses. Fumaric acid prevents powdered mixes from caking and hardening from moisture. It is also stronger than other acids, enabling the use of less product to achieve the same results–thereby improving economies by lowering ingredient cost.
In bakery and desserts applications, fumaric acid performs the following functions:
- Extends shelf life; improves dough machineability
- Acts as a delayed action leavening acid in dough
- Lowers pH in tortillas with little taste impact
- Improves cost in gelled desserts & dry mixes by reducing acidulant needed
- Acts as a flavoring agent in savory baked goods
- Replaces cream of tartar in egg white foam applications
Explore more applications
This versatile ingredient has a mellow, smooth, and persistent sourness that enhances sensory attributes. Malic acid can be blended with other food acids, sugars, high-intensity sweeteners, flavors and seasonings. Malic acid balances or intensifies the impact of fruit flavors in food and beverage applications, and many times the amount of flavor needed in a formulation can be decreased for better economies.
In bakery and desserts, malic acid boosts fruit flavor in frozen & baked desserts such as sherbets, flavored ices, jelly-filled doughnuts & fruit-filled pies.
Explore more applications
Whether you’re developing new formulations for a changing marketplace, seeking to reduce ingredient costs and increase profitability, or improving the flavor profiles of your applications, we’d welcome the opportunity to discuss how our specialty ingredients can deliver a solution.
Phone: +1 (905) 662-3292