Whether you’re just starting out in the baking industry, or it’s been a few years, there’s room to grow. With some exciting opportunities in trending sectors and a wide gap in seasoned professionals, roles are just waiting to be stepped into. However, there’s still work to do on your end. So here are a few things you can do to advance your baking career.
This one may seem like a broad approach, but it really, truly does make a difference. In the baking industry who you know goes a long way—not only for employment opportunities, but also for support from peers, and finding people you can ask for technical advice. By building a strong professional network you’ll not only be connected but supported. This helps you get the job you want and succeed at it.
The baking industry is constantly evolving, now more than ever. New shifts from baking trends like clean label and functional foods is changing the way we formulate and process baked goods. To advance in a baking career, you’ll need to be constantly learning about new innovations and practices. Plus, be sure you have a strong foundation in the fundamentals to get started in the first place.
3. Get involved
The best way to put the first two points in practice is to get involved. Go to the trade shows and conferences. Sign up for classes and webinars. Stay up to date on trends and new research. Keep an eye out for special training programs, scholarships, and networking opportunities. Join clubs and associations to start building your network.
The American Society of Baking can help!
Here at ASB, we are always looking for ways to help you enhance your skills, increase your professional worth, and strengthen your company.
Our aim is to offer educational and networking resources to help wholesale baking professionals advance in their careers. Students, young professionals and emerging leaders have the opportunity to learn from industry experts through presentations at BakingTECH, articles available via our online resources library and webinars (live and archived).
Why you should join ASB:
- Speaking opportunities offering recognition as an industry expert.
- 24/7 networking with industry leaders through a virtual member directory.
- Year-round professional educational opportunities.
- Receive registration discounts to ASB’s annual meeting, BakingTECH.
- Scholarship opportunities for employees and students.
We have a scholarship program coming up to help your baking career!
Submissions are now open for the 2019/20 engineering and maintenance/machinist scholarship program. This program is designed to:
- Provide financial support for university students who are pursuing a degree in engineering, have interned at a bakery and are interested in a career in the wholesale baking industry.
- Provide financial support for wholesale baking company employees who are pursuing additional training in maintenance/machine operations at a trade school, vocational institution or community college.
The deadline to submit for consideration is June 1, 2019. For more details, click here.
There is space in the baking industry to find the career path that’s right for you. So find ways to get involved, learn, and help propel the whole industry forward!